It is estimated that at any one time in Western Australia, there are more than 38 000 children with language related difficulties in the school system. That’s 2 in every classroom!
There are specialist facilities, like the LDC, that cater for these students, but positions are limited. To help support those who are unable to access this level of support, the NEMLDC Outreach Service provides a service to fill the gap. Our support is a government funded service for all public schools within the North East Metro and Wheatbelt education regions. Our primary role is to support mainstream schools in their capacity to implement effective oral language instruction for K-2 and to cater for students with speech and language difficulties across the primary years.
Services Provided by the NEMLDC Outreach
At the NEMLDC Outreach Service, we prioritise capacity building services in relation to oral language and the foundations of literacy. Please click the links below to find out more about our services:
We also offer school-based support including:
- Capacity building and action research support – we partner with schools and work with them to affect change in their settings.
- Targeted professional learning sessions
- Teacher consultations and mentoring, including consultations regarding specific students
- Collaborative planning support
- In-class observation and feedback sessions
- NEMLDC classroom observations
- Student Speech Pathology placements
- Resource provision and advice in relation to oral language and the foundations of literacy assessment and intervention
Click the following to: