The NEMLDC Outreach Service offers a range of professional learning sessions that are focused on supporting educators to:
- plan for and implement effective oral language instruction for K-2 as a foundation for literacy success; and
- plan and implement intervention for primary aged students with speech and/or language difficulties.
In 2019 we are offering a range of professional learning sessions. Participants can register for these sessions by accessing the NE Mtr LDC PLIS calendar at the following link: https://plis.det.wa.edu.au/?org=20. *PD events subject to change. Please check the NE Mtr LDC PLIS calendar for events and dates throughout the year.
Full Day District Professional Learning Events ($75 per person)
Participants: These professional learning sessions are for teachers and support staff who wish to expand their knowledge and ability to effectively implement oral language intervention for children with language and literacy difficulties.
PL Structure: Each professional learning session includes relevant background theory, systematic and explicit intervention frameworks, exploration of intervention programs and resources, and demonstration of strategies and practical ideas suitable for a range of age ranges. Participants are given the opportunity to practice implementing skills taught and are provided with electronic resources to take back to their schools.
PL Topic Areas:
- Language Difficulties – Understanding and supporting students K-2
- Language Difficulties – Understanding and supporting students 3-6
- Social Skills and Emotional Regulation
- Functional Grammar Instruction
- Semantics and Vocabulary Learning
- Teacher Talk – Fostering Language through Play (two day series). Please see below for more information
- Phonemic Awareness and Phonics Instruction and Intervention
- Phonological Awareness K-1
- Oral Text Development (planned for term 3)
- Oral Morphology and Word Study
(Live links indicate professional learning sessions on PLIS open for registrations)
After School District Professional Learning Events (approx $25 per person)
Participants: These professional learning sessions are for teachers and support staff who wish to expand their knowledge and ability to effectively implement language and literacy instruction and intervention.
Structure: This professional learning will be run as after school sessions (3:45pm-5:45pm), often over a number of weeks. Charges are dependent on the number of sessions involved.
- Assessment and Analysis of Oral Language Series
- Speech Sound Difficulties
- Oral Language for New Teachers
Half Day EA Sessions (approx $35pp)
Participants: These professional learning sessions are specifically tailored to education assistants who wish to expand their knowledge and ability to effectively implement oral language and pre-literacy instruction and intervention.
Structure: These professional learning session are planned to run as half day sessions (12:45pm-3:15pm).
- Oral Language Games – Make & Take
- Phonological Awareness (PA) & Phonics
- Semantics and Vocabulary Learning
Teacher Talk – Fostering Language through Play (2 day series)
Teacher Talk ™ is an internationally recognised training program developed by the Hanen Centre®. The 2-day series is open to teachers and education assistants in Kindergarten and Pre-Primary classrooms. The sessions will show staff how to use play and daily routines to promote the communication and social development of all children, including those with language difficulties. It is designed to actively engage participants through discussions, small group activities, analysis of video examples and completion of practical action plans that participants can take back to their classrooms. Between sessions there will be opportunity for individual consultation and reflection on the implementation of the action plan.
School Development Day PL
The NEMLDC Outreach service currently has availability to present at school’s staff development days in 2019. If your school would like to access the Outreach Service to do so, please submit a request for professional learning form. To see a list of available PL options, please click here.