North East Metropolitan Language Development Centre Outreach Service
About the NEMLDC Outreach Service
It is estimated that at any one time in Western Australia, there are approximately 43 000 students with language related difficulties in the school system.
There are specialist facilities, like the LDC, that cater for these students, but positions are limited. To help support those who are unable to access this level of support, the NEMLDC Outreach Service provides a service to fill the gap. Our support is a government funded service for all public schools within the North East Metro and Wheatbelt education regions. Our primary role is to support mainstream schools in their capacity to implement effective oral language instruction for K-2 and to cater for students with speech and language difficulties across the primary years.
At the NEMLDC Outreach Service, we prioritise the following capacity building services:
- Professional learning series and sessions, including the Language Leadership School Series and Network and district professional learning sessions;
- School-based support, including whole school and targeted professional learning session, teacher consultations and mentoring, and NEMLDC classroom observations;
- Research and development, including development of resources for classroom use, and research evaluating the effectiveness and efficacy of the oral language interventions used at the LDC.
How to Access the Service
The NEMLDC Outreach Service is an “opt-in” service, where schools request to access our support. If you are a school who would like to discuss services with our team and set up a service agreement, please submit our Request for Service Form here.
Click here for our parent information brochure.
Updates on Recent Activity
To access our bi-annual newsletter for education staff, that includes updates in research evidence and practical ideas for the classroom, click on the links below.
- Semester 2, 2017 Outreach Newsletter
- Semester 1, 2017 Outreach Newsletter
- Semester 2, 2016 Outreach Newsletter
Alternatively, you can sign up for out mailing list to be kept up to date with the latest PL sessions and our biannual news letter