As we enter the second semester of the year, many families are beginning to think about their child’s placement for next year.
Please be aware of the following guidelines for the continuation of placement, exit and transition for each year level:
ALL YEAR 2 STUDENTS
All students currently in Year 2 will exit the NEMLDC at the end of this year and transition to a mainstream school. Parents are encouraged to contact a school of their choice regarding enrolment, and notify the NEMLDC of the school once arrangements are in place.
YEAR 1 STUDENTS CURRENTLY IN THEIR THIRD YEAR OF PLACEMENT
Students who commenced their placement in 2015 (Kindergarten) will exit the NEMLDC at the end of this year and transition to a mainstream school, as per NEMLDC policy. Parents are encouraged to contact a school of their choice regarding enrolment and notify the NEMLDC of the school once arrangements are in place.
ALL NEMLDC STUDENTS IN THEIR FIRST OR SECOND YEAR OF PLACEMENT
This information relates to:
- Currently enrolled Year 1 students who entered the NEMLDC in either Pre Primary (2016) or Year 1 (2017)
- ALL STUDENTS currently enrolled in Pre Primary and Kindergarten
Currently enrolled students in their first or second year of placement may be eligible to continue their enrolment into 2018. An evaluation of each student’s suitability will be undertaken from week 5 onwards in Term 3.
Parents are urged NOT to make a decision on 2018 placements until the following processes are complete:
- Progress of each student will be discussed by the classroom Teacher, Coach and Speech Pathologist at a collaborative team meeting early in Term 3.
- If it is agreed that a student is demonstrating strong language, academic and social skills in the classroom they will assessed by the NEMLDC Speech Pathologist.
- The Speech Pathologist will administer a range of oral language assessments designed to evaluate the student’s language skills and readiness to transition from the NEMLDC to a mainstream school. They may also seek information from outside sources, including families or outside therapy providers.
- If the results clearly demonstrate age appropriate skills in all areas, the family will be contacted to discuss a transition from the NEMLDC to a mainstream school in 2018. A plan for a supported transition will be established.
- If the results suggest continuing difficulties, and the student has demonstrated an ongoing ability to access the NEMLDC programs successfully, another year of placement will be offered.
- If it is recommended a child continue placement into 2018, parents will receive notification in writing early in Term 4. Parents do not need to fill out any application forms and students will remain enrolled at the NEMLDC for 2018.
PARENT INITIATED EXITS
If you are intending to transition your child to a mainstream school regardless of the NEMLDC’s recommendation please notify the office as soon as possible. This will allow for the exit assessments to be completed and exit reports written. Please be aware that if you choose to transition your child to a mainstream school their place will be given to a new applicant. It will not be possible for your child to return to the NEMLDC if difficulties are encountered later on.
If during the course of the year you have moved house and are now living outside the NEMLDC catchment area, and your child is eligible to stay on for 2018, you can apply for a transfer to another LDC. To request an application for transfer please contact the school administration on 9275 5511 as soon as possible.
EXIT ASSESSMENTS AND TRANSITION PROCESS
Each student who exits the NEMLDC at the end of 2017 will be assessed on the CELF-4 OR CELF 5 or the CELF-Preschool 2 for Kindergarten students. An exit report will be written by the NEMLDC Speech Pathologist and distributed to families with your child’s Student Achievement Report and Parent Reporting Grids in Term 4. A copy of the report will also be sent to receiving schools early in 2018.
An information session for families transitioning from the NEMLDC will be held early in Term 4, 2017. The receiving schools of all transitioning students will be invited and encouraged to attend an information session at the NEMLDC early in Term 1, 2018. Ongoing support from the NEMLDC Outreach Service can be accessed by mainstream schools upon request.
If you have any queries regarding continuation of placement or exit please contact the school administration by phoning the office on 9275 5511.