Healthy Eating at North East Metro LDC
We are working hard to encourage the children to be healthy eaters. You can assist us by talking to your children about the importance of healthy eating.
Healthy choices for lunches include:
- Sandwiches using wholemeal bread or rolls
- Rollups/wraps with lots of fresh salad
- Salads, such as rice or pasta
- Fresh fruit is easy to pack. You can also try a tub of canned fruit or chopped fresh strawberries, pineapple or melon. Raw vegies such as carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, cucumber or capsicum strips are popular as a snack or in a sandwich
- Other snack ideas include a small box or bag of dried fruit, rice cakes or unsalted and unsweetened popcorn
There are lots of healthy school lunch ideas on the internet – have a look.
Tips for summer lunches:
- Include a frozen bottle of water during summer. It will still be cold at lunchtime and keep the food cool too.
- During hot weather, avoid milk, yoghurt, fish or meat in lunches, unless they are packed in a good?quality cooler with an ice pack/frozen water bottle (to prevent food poisoning).
- Wash and dry salad vegetables thoroughly to avoid ‘soggy sandwiches’.
- Don’t forget a spoon when packing yoghurt or tubs of fruit (otherwise it will end up on the floor or on your child’s clothes).
- For busy families, prepare lunchboxes and sandwiches the night before and store them in the fridge to ensure your child always has a healthy lunch with them.
- Wash, rinse and thoroughly dry lunchboxes after every use to keep them safe and clean
We are very happy for parents to send in birthday cakes or birthday cupcakes to share when it is your child’s
birthday, but please do not send in lolly/sweet bags as we cannot give these out.
Thank you for your assistance with this.